Outdoor and Family Programs Manager
LOCATION: Great Camp Sagamore is a National Historic Landmark run as a residential and day use educational center for adults, families and children. Sagamore's operational season runs from mid-May through mid-October with programs relating to the Adirondack forest preserve, regional history and culture. Sagamore is located in the Central Adirondacks just outside the hamlet of Raquette Lake, NY within the Blue Ridge Wilderness SMA. The Blue Ridge Wilderness is 47,000 acres in Hamilton County, NY. This is a very remote area that features miles of hiking trails, abundant wildlife and some of the darkest night skies in North America.
LEVEL OF POSITION: Permanent; Full Time; Mid-May through Mid-October, Hourly Position guaranteed at 50% time the balance of the year. This position requires the candidate to be in residence at camp in-season and work from home with provided computer and phone the balance of the year.
REPORTS TO: Executive Director, Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks
OBJECTIVE: This position is responsible for the development and administration of outdoor and family programs at Great Camp Sagamore. The Director of Outdoor Education will create programs for a variety of audiences, including families with children, adult nature enthusiasts and the general public. They will coordinate the development of new nature and family programs for Sagamore with the Executive Director and other staff. This position also recruits and supervises an intern staff who work through the season to deliver programs.
Seasonal Activities: November to April:
- Coordinate the development of the annual program calendar with senior staff
- Plan upcoming environmental and family programs utilizing Sagamore staff and outside presenters
- Create operational plans for upcoming summer camp sessions including itineraries, presenter contracts and safety protocols
- Work with ED and other senior staff to recruit seasonal interns
- Communicate and market programs with participants through e-mail and social media
Seasonal Activities: May - October:
- Manage program implementation through evaluation and oversight
- Monitoring and management of budgets, schedules, and itineraries
- Coordinate Road Scholar program needs and be a liaison with Road Scholar organization
- Manage outside Contractor staff including contracts, schedules and evaluations
- Manage relationships with outside groups (Yoga, Skidmore College, etc.) holding events at Sagamore
- Build and Maintain Program Records and files
- -Program Binder & Calendar
- -Program Evaluation Records
- -Contracts, Promo Materials, etc.
- Participate in leading tours, programs and classes
- Manage program staff daily schedules, and performance evaluations
- Oversee development and implementation of GCS operational program policies
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent plus a minimum of 3-5 years experience in program design, development and administration at a museum or cultural agency.
- Excellent communication, writing and presentation skills;
- Strong computer skills with MS Office (Word / Excel) and Filemaker Pro and internet savvy with social media skills;
- Strong organizational and accountability experience
- Knowledge of and passion for the natural history of the Adirondacks.
- Ability to work well with a diverse team, varied clientele and the general public;
- Mature professional with flexibility, integrity and a sense of humor and an interest in supporting Great Camp Sagamore's mission.
HOW TO APPLY: Address cover letter, resume and list of three references to Garet Livermore, Executive Director, Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks via e-mail: email@example.com