Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks, the non-profit steward ofGreat Camp Sagamore, a National Historic Landmark located in the Central Adirondack community of Raquette Lake, New York seeks a Facilities Director to manage maintenance and preservation of its Adirondack Great Camp complex. Sagamore is a 27-building complex built by William West Durant between 1894 and 1897. The camp is located on its own lake in the Blue Ridge Wilderness area of the Adirondack preserve and was the wilderness retreat of the Vanderbilt family. During its historic period, Sagamore was visited by the leading writers, artists, businessmen and political figures of the day. Today Sagamore is run as a non-profit educational center offering tours, classes and family events in an authentic historic setting.
The Facilities Director supervises daily and strategic maintenance and security of the site and a staff of part-time and seasonal employees. The manager is a hands-on manager, competent in multiple building and landscape skills. This FSLA exempt position includes health insurance and SIMPLE retirement plan, and reports directly to the Executive Director of Great Camp Sagamore. Position includes housing at Sagamore and use of facilities.
- Monitor, maintain and/or coordinate the preservation of buildings and site.
- Manage restoration projects including coordinating work with contractors and working with the ED on the filing of grants to support same.
- Manage Sagamore's three annual work weekend volunteer programs
- Supervise buildings and grounds staff, including recruitment and performance review
- Excellent skills in working with volunteers and the public
- Open and close camp with seasonal staff and outside contractors
- Participate in cross-departmental teams and management group.
- Supervise all budgets, contracts and schedules related to buildings and grounds operations.
- Coordinate, maintain compliance with and/or perform key regulatory tasks including inspections with regulatory government agencies.
- Act as general contractor for Sagamore restoration projects including subcontractor relations and fulfilling grant agency reporting
- Coordinate and supervise contracts for service on camp equipment.
- Five years of experience in multiple aspects of building maintenance and working knowledge of historic preservation practice
- Familiarity and comfort living in a wilderness setting
- Strong supervisory skills
- BA/BS in related field
Send a letter or inquiry, resume and a list of three references to: Garet Livermore, Executive Director at email@example.com
Assistant Office Manager
Great Camp Sagamore, a National Historic Landmark site in Raquette Lake, NY is seeking an Assistant Office Manager for its 2017 season. The position runs from May through October and is responsible for assisting with the running of our front office operations including making reservations, greeting guests, logistical support and staff scheduling. Candidate must have a positive public presence, be fluent in computer usage and be willing to learn new skills in a great place. Send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Responsible, hard working and friendly person to assist with caretaking duties at National Historic Landmark complex in Raquette Lake, NY. Be part of the operational team that cares for grounds and structures and welcome guests during educational programs. Must have basic working knowledge of carpentry, plumbing and electrical systems skills. Also the ability to operate power tools for grounds work and interior maintenance.
This position requires working from Great Camp Sagamore in Raquette Lake, New York through our operational season of May - October year in housing provided by Sagamore Institute of the Adirondacks, Inc.. Raquette Lake is a small village in the heart of the Adirondack Park of New York State. The Assistant Caretaker must be comfortable living in a wilderness environment and be able to perform the tasks associated with the preservation of a historic complex and public programs.